1. Stop watching the news. Try to do this for at least 28 days. If you MUST get the news, choose one media source for one hour a day, or less.
2. Join a singing group.
3. Invite someone to lunch who scares the hell out of you.
4. Pray for someone you don't like all that much.
5. Challenge yourself to volunteer in places where you will encounter the very real violence of your community. -Offer yourself as a Stephen's Minister to your local law enforcement agency. -Take hot chocolate and granola bars to the Emergency Room staff at 2 AM. -Train as a Domestic Violence or Sexual Assault Victim Advocate.
6. Mind your metaphors. Simply notice every time you or someone around you uses a violent metaphor, such as "That latte sure hit the spot!" or "Shoot me an email." or "We are on target."
From Colleen McRoberts, at the March for Peace
PEACE Iowa Benefit Concert: Sunday, July 12, 3:00-5:00 PM, at Uptown Bill’s Coffee House 730 South Dubuque St., Iowa City with BlueStem Trio and Friends
Alicia Garza, Co-Founder "Black Lives Matter" Speaks at Elpis Christian Fellowship, Des Moines July 7 at 6:00 PM
Methodist Federation for Social Action Iowa Chapter (MFSA Iowa) Eloise Cranke, Coordinator
DWOLLA Donate through DWOLLA; create account or login and search for "Iowa MFSA"